I got married a few months ago and my wedding had over 200 guests. We all know weddings are expensive and little things here and there can really add up. I opted to make my own party favors instead of splurging hundreds of dollars on custom favors that people were going to toss away.
I wanted my party favors to be repurposed and reusable for guests, and therefore any customization must be removable. I also wanted to keep the cost low. In the end, I decided to hand out mini 4oz Ball jars filled with Hershey’s Hugs and Kisses. I made 208 favors and it costed less than $200. Less than a dollar per person! Other favors like custom coaster will definitely cost you more than a dollar person and to be honest, although they are cute, I don’t think anyone wants a coaster with your names or faces. I personally don’t and from my experience talking with others, they take it home, but they leave it to collect dust because again it’s too customized to go with their decor!
What you need:
- Vinyl cutter (I already had a Silhouette Cameo 3 so I didn’t add it to my costs. If you don’t want to purchase one, which is understandable, there are libraries that have these machines and lets the public us them!)
- Black vinyl (non permanent) (you can also just purchase cut ones from Etsy if you don’t have a machine to cut, it will just be a little more pricey)
- White paint markers
- Twine (I purchased a small roll from Dollar Tree to test out the look, then purchased a large roll on Amazon)
- Hershey’s Hugs and Kisses (keep a look out for sales, I purchased the Hugs on sale after Valentine’s day at Target and purchased the Kisses on Amazon)
- 4oz Ball jars – non-quilted! (orig. $7.99 for case of 12. I waited for sales at Target and purchased them 33% off, it was a $10 off $30)
How to assemble:
- Cut out 1.907″ diameter circles on your vinyl (I fit 29 circles per sheet)
- Remove excess vinyl to reveal your circles
- Using a white paint marker, write your desired quote. I wrote “hugs & kisses from the new MR + MRS”
- Carefully place the vinyl circles on the lid of the Ball jars, making sure to cover any printed words on the lid
- Mix your Hershey’s Hugs and Kisses and put 8-10 pieces per jar
- Measure and cut 25″ of twine
- Warp jars twice with the twine and tie into a bow
Easy peasy and cost efficient. These wedding favors were a hit at the wedding. I was told some of our guests were asking around for others’ favors in order to collect a whole set of jars! I think the beauty of these wedding favors is not only are they cute and rustic, but they are easy to repurpose. People can use it for storage, decoration, or make jam and sauces. The best part is they can remove the vinyl label and no one will ever know that it came from someone’s wedding. My favors turned out wonderful and if you try this for your wedding I am sure it will be a hit! Good luck!